Monday, June 13, 2005

My walk as a mini-cliffhanger

I ran into Scott at Wegman's, my 7th of 8 stops on today's errand route and we had quite a chat and decided to walk if he got done with his haircut at about the same time I got some with Wegman's and the egg farm.

When I came out of Weggies, it had rained and it was steaming off the parking lot and HOT--felt like a sauna! Weggies took longer than I hoped (and I didn't even get everything I needed) and Scott had already called and gone on his way back to Jordan when I got home, so I put away my groceries and went out to walk by myself. They were threatening thunderstorms so instead of going to 3 Rivers, I thought I'd park at Palmer (closer) and walk down the road. As I was about to turn off the car radio, it started making that wretched buzzing sound that indicates a warning--I knew what it would be and listened carefully--severe thunderstorms damaging winds headed my way at 20 miles and hour and currently over Seneca Falls. Warning, all people take cover indoors or in a vehicle if necessary--do not stay outside.

I calculated the time available and figured I could make it.

I took all my camera gear and a waterproof gear bag--but it was a small one, not big enough for all the gear. Big enough for Eeyore and one lens, maybe. I had the new flash, too, because the black clouds were making it much darker than usual. And Ollie and all the batteries and other gear. I was going to take a tripod because of the darkness due to the black clouds, but it was so windy it seemed pointless.

I walked and watched the lightning snake across the sky closer and closer, walked up over two (small) hills where there was nothing but corn, so I felt pretty exposed--the corn's not knee high yet. Of course, I wanted to walk 45 minutes, but when I'd walked 21, the thunder was so close I turned around and headed back. I walked fast, and as the storm approached, I walked faster and faster. Pretty soon I was jogging. As I ran as fast as I could back to the car, the storm hit. I dove into the car just as it really cut loose, pelting the car with rain like standing under a waterfall almost--and the wind, which had been getting stronger and stronger, shook the little car, threatening to uproot it.

I only got hit by the first sprinkles and splotches of rain. My gear was safe--and I was very relieved when I saw the downpour that the gear at least was inside the car. YAY! Good timing. Phew.

On the way back, I was wishing I could photograph the rain in the headlights and battering and misting off the roads.

"An adventure every time!" Scott Carter

"Every Day's a Holiday," FJ

"I am certain of nothing but the Heart's affections and the truth of the Imagination" John Keats

2 comments:

jo(e) said...

I love that kind of walk.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I loved it too, it was very exhilerating!!!